Sunday, September 18, 2016

Tiller fab

Tiller is not quite done but it's getting there.  Here I'm setting the final posture of the last piece:


The plans don't say how far into the cockpit the tiller should go.    I decided to go with the above after looking at pictures of other boats, and also after thinking (guessing) that having it be too far into the cockpit would be a nuisance.   Easy enough to extend later on if necessary.

Gluing the last two parts together:


Getting ready to laminate the uni on all sides of the join:


Getting ready to laminate the final carbon layers over the join:


After wetting out the carbon, I just wrapped it around the tiller in a spiral pattern, then peel-plyed it, then wrapped it in plastic to help get any air bubbles out.   Probably thicker than it needs to be but I think that's okay.   In fact I am thrilled so far with how it's turning out - this thing is very strong and very light.   Tiller is being faired at the moment, more later.

No comments: